Subject:[mou-net] Hoary Redpoll, Nicollet County
From:Bob Dunlap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:11:04 -0600

After not seeing any redpolls for a couple weeks now at the Interpretive
Center's feeders here at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, I was
surprised just a few minutes ago to see a single Hoary Redpoll at the
thistle feeders hanging from a shepherd's hook pole behind the
Interpretive Center. The bird appears to be a female; characteristics
that caught my eye immediately were pale overall plumage, no visible
undertail streaking, white rump (as I saw it fly up to a nearby tree),
and a small, stubby bill. I was able to take a few photographs before
the bird took off. Not sure if it will hang around, but I'll keep
watching. The only other birds that have been coming to these thistle
feeders are Pine Siskins.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County

Bob Dunlap
Naturalist, Linnaeus Arboretum