CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2009

From:
Dale Callaham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:54:51 -0400
Hi,

I've tried to follow most of this thread but may have missed some. Seems
that most of the discussion is related to solvents to remove (primarily)
oil. I haven't seem much mention of the aqueous-based cleaners. We have
only used these type of cleaners for decades with no problems. Our
standard procedure for dry lenses is to use a dry cotton swab to mop up
the excess oil in the groove and the surrounding parts that are NOT the
optical surface; then clean those same areas with a swab just moistened
with a single drop of lens cleaner (Kodak lens cleaner, Sparkle glass
cleaner (was recommended by service personnel of two major microscope
companies) or others; Zeiss supplied an aqueous lens cleaner and we
found a commercial product that is reputed to be the same material -
UltraClarity from FilmTools). I think some of these contain a bit of
isopropanol.

Finally, with a cotton swab just moistened and a very light touch, start
at the center of the lens and while spinning the swab between the
fingers also spiral the swab from the center to perimeter; this step may
need to be repeated. There should never be enough lens cleaner that it
sits on the lens - you should see the evaporating film receding
immediately if the cotton swab was just moistened.

In our multiuser facility where we have a range of users from novice to
seasoned professionals and undergrads to advanced postgrads and
professors (note the separation of the categories - they don't
necessarily line up) and we regularly find oil on the dry objectives and
perform this cleaning routine and the lenses do not appear to have
suffered from this method. The use of the objective to crush slides is
another matter; we have deep scoring on the face of the chromed-brass
barrel of a couple of objectives but (amazingly) no damage to the
optical surface which is slightly recessed and concave on the 20x and
40x - the long ones most likely to get oiled or be used for slide
crushers.....

I have always taken the view that oil lenses are designed to be in oil
(and are designed for that) and we just have people use a small square
of Lensx-90 to gently wipe the excess until the tissue "appears" dry -
obviously there will still be a film of oil but the lenses have not
failed in any respect from over 15yr of this protocol. Our microscopes
are used daily and frequently. For the record we use Cargille "DF" oil,
or the Zeiss 518F oil on our Axiovert200.

Once in a while - for mystery materials that range from mounting cement
to nail polish, etc. - we do use xylene sparingly as described for the
aqueous cleaner; first clean up the bulk of the mess away from the
optical surface and always use a just-moistened swab; again the cleaner
should not remain sitting on the lens.

I'm not reporting this as a "you should do it this way" statement; I
just wanted to add to the knowledge base of possible lens care and lens
survivability.

Dale