CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2009

From:
"Armstrong, Brian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:30:20 -0700
Michael, to be clear, your Z resolution will be approximately 3 times
worse than your X,Y. Therefore, your Z will appear stretched. To address
this you will need to perform deconvolution on your Z-Stacks. I would
not worry too much the about RI of your oil and glycerin based mountant,
as this is a very common procedure to use an oil imm objective on a
glycerin based mounted sample and a glycerin imm objective will run
around $10K US. I would however insist on a 1.5 coverslip that is 170um
because your lens is designed for the angle created by that thickness
and it is easy and cheap to use the right coverglass. After
deconvolution I would recommend you use image software designed for
accurate 3D visualization such as Imaris or Amira or Volocity.
Cheers,

Brian D Armstrong PhD
Light Microscopy Core Manager
Beckman Research Institute