Subject:[mou-net] Red-throated Loon, Stearns Co.
From:Chu, Philip
Date:Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:22:41 -0600

This morning - from 0805 (when I arrived) through 0925 (when I left) - there was a Red-throated Loon on Sauk Lake, in the town of Sauk Centre.  The loon was in winter plumage, and I suspected it to be less than a year old because of how weakly red-tinged the iris was.

To get to the spot from which I viewed the loon, take US 71 north through downtown Sauk Centre.  On the north side of downtown, where US 71 bends hard to the right, turn left on 4th St. N; then take 4th St. N to its end - it dead-ends at the lakeshore.  From here, the loon was sometimes straight offshore; sometimes as much as 300 yards to the NW; and sometimes as much as 200 yards to the SW.

Phil Chu
Department of Biology
St. John's University