Subject:Re: [mou-net] [ricebird] Louisiana Waterthrushes, Lark Sparrow + snake question
From:dan&erika <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:23:28 -0600

Erika and I saw a Lark Sparrow in Rice Co. today also--about 3 miles south
of the eastern unit of the Canon river Wilderness Area.  it flew up from the
gravel roadside.

dan tallman

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Dave Bartkey <> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> As I was asking my boss this morning if he'd mind if I played hookey from
> work, I observed many birds foraging in a dirt patch within a grass island
> outside of his window. My boss told me to have fun and when I went out to my
> car, I grabbed my binos and scanned through the flock. All were Chipping
> Sparrows except for one, a Lark Sparrow! After viewing the bird for several
> minutes, I decided to walk at Cannon River Wilderness Park, west side, and I
> had three different Louisiana Waterthrushes calling on territory there, as
> well as one Red-shouldered Hawk, probably another nester.
> Other FOY's today were:
> White-throated Sparrows (many)
> Orange-crowned Warbler (4)
> House Wren (1)
> Clay-colored Sparrows (2)
> Lincoln's Sparrow (1)
> Also, while walking, I came across a very small snake on the trail. It was
> about 10-12 inches long, and it was a dark brown with dark gray or black
> stripes along the body and it wasn't moving. I figured someone must have
> stepped on it, but I picked it up. It just dangled there, and when I turned
> my hand back and forth, I noticed the snake's head remained pointed at me!
> It was alive and playing dead! Anyway, I placed my hand under the head and
> the snake started moving and flicking its tongue. I turned the snake over
> and the belly was a bright scarlet red. Brown Snakes that I have encountered
> have white bellies. Anyone out there have any ideas? On a reptile note, I
> also heard tree frogs singing in two locations today as well.
> Good birding (& reptiling!)
> Dave Bartkey
> Faribault, MN
> <>
>  __._,_.___
>   Messages in this topic
> <;_ylc=X3oDMTMzbXRtOTFoBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5MjU0MzY2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4Mjk0NgRtc2dJZAMzMTQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjQwNjAxMzc2BHRwY0lkAzMxNA-->(
> 1)  Reply (via web post)
> <;_ylc=X3oDMTJwdHNza2lwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5MjU0MzY2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4Mjk0NgRtc2dJZAMzMTQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMjQwNjAxMzc2?act=reply&messageNum=314>| Start
> a new topic
>  Messages<;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbWlqN3BzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5MjU0MzY2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4Mjk0NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNtc2dzBHN0aW1lAzEyNDA2MDEzNzY->
>  This list is devoted to birds of Rice County, Minnesota. Reports of rare
> AND common birds are welcome. Questions from both dedicated birders AND
> beginners are encouraged. The goal of this list is to keep tabs on the birds
> that occur in the county.
> Post message:
> Subscribe:
> Unsubscribe:
> List owner:
>  I'm happy I lost my Job. Now I make $12,000/mo online! See how I do it:
> [...]

Dan or Erika Tallman
Northfield, Minnesota

".... the best shod travel with wet feet"
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes ...."--Thoreau