Subject:[mou-net] Short-eared Owl and Loggerhead Shrike, Nicollet County
From:Bob Dunlap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:23:18 -0600

This afternoon at the WMA one mile north of the town of Nicollet on
the east side of Hwy. 111 a Short-eared Owl spooked up from the
prairie as I walked along the dirt trail toward the wetlands. The bird
fluttered around for a minute and then landed on top of a rise,
allowing me to obtain some of the best looks I've ever had at this
species (through a scope).

On the way back to St. Peter along Hwy. 99, I found a Loggerhead
Shrike perched on the telephone wire on the south side of the road.
The location is just west of the electric substation at mile marker
#7. I was able to take a few photos of this bird and will post one
later today on my blog.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County