CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2009

Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 23:27:32 +1000
The Leica SP2 was not OS9 - it was Win 2000.  The older Leica systems were OS9 - a very good OS in its time but there's no denying Leica did persevere with it beyond its use-by date.  Nor was it a  pico-second laser (that was not very good) we had a femtosecond Coherent Mira.  (The Cornell patent was never taken out in Australia).

The funny thing was that in spite of pioneering ND detectors on the 1024, when Bio-Rad brought out their Radiance MP (which was about the time we were making our purchase decision) it did NOT have ND detectors!  They introduced them later- and I remember very well one SPIE conference whan they finally had a Radiance MP with ND detectors.  They had a lunchtime demo and would not show them - so after the crowd had left I sat down at the system and tried them.  Instantly hugely better images than they's been getting in the demo.  And they had one potential customer (not me - it was too late for me) who had been desperate to see these detectors in action! You've got it - they had a great product and a keen customer but would not bring them together.  No wonder they went under.  It was very sad for me - I'd known the people involved from 1987, and had brought two Bio-Rad confocals.  But one cannot run a core facility on sentiment.

                                         Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net <http://www.guycox.net/>