CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2009

From:
Carl Boswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 11:42:14 -0700
Without any intention to single out one individual, I'd like to address a
worsening issue regarding electronic communication.  This is not a diatribe
about "artistic license", the difficulties of English as a second language,
regional differences in slang or syntax or the subtleties of hanging
participles.  What I would like to see is less casual and more appropriate
use of the fundamentals of English by those who should know better.

Professional communications should reflect not only the expertise of the
individual, but their intellectual acuity as well.  We are not Twittering
each other, so we should be writing in complete sentences with proper
capitalization and punctuation.  While I may be a Luddite in this regard,
doesn't it take more effort to purposely write without these attributes than
with them, as all our years of formal training would dictate?

We have enough trouble with the bastardization of the current lexicon.  For
instance, when was the last time you "migrated" a chair from one room to
another, or you asked yourself what "impacted" your decision to buy a
particular car?  In my opinion we should eschew the tendency to accept
trendy but lazy language and work to maintain some semblance discipline, if
only to slow the progression toward the use of "like" three to five times in
every sentence.  (Is that just in America, or has this disheartening trend
spread to other English speaking countries?)

I would propose that a given writing or language style should be appropriate
for the forum in which it is used.  In the case of this forum, where
intelligent and highly educated scientists predominate, we should stick to
that level of discourse.

Rantingly yours,
Carl

Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.