CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2009

From:
Keith Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:28:53 +0100
Hi Robert,

Talked about this recently on the listserver, so have an instant reply:

[This wash sequence is used for new 'pre-washed' glass slides from boxes]:
Soak the slides overnight in 5ml Teepol/RenClean in ~500 ml MillQ water [you
need a large 100 slide slotted rack to hold the slides apart and upright in
the tank, and to lift them in/out]. Next morning wash off detergent gently
with de-ionised tap water* then MillQ**. Leave for 1h in ~500 ml MillQ + 5ml
conc HCL. Rinse with de-ionised tap water then MillQ, and put in 100%
ethanol for 1h. Replace with fresh 100% ethanol for another hour.  Remove
Ethanol and air dry in covered chamber. We generally save the last ethanol
wash to re-use as the next 'first' one.

I don't pre-wash cover-slips, but prior to use I always wipe the cover-slip
with 70% ethanol and KimTech Science 75512 tissues*** [70% alcohol wet then
dry side], and leave cover-slip to dry resting against a rack just before
use. The slides are stored in their dry racks/covered tank and removed as
needed.

You need some sort of 100 slide rack and tank [with a lid] for the washes
[ours have been around since the year dot].We use VWR [formally BDH]
'washed,cleaned, polished Superfrost' [cat no. 631-0102, the labeling area
is available in 7 colours including pink 631-0104]. Our borosilicate
cover-slips are also VWR [e.g. catalogue 631-0138].

Tip: If you have to dry a wet [PBS/SSC/water] slide after processing, use a
hand puffer**** to blow the liquid off the slide, then airdry upright in a
slotted slide holder [if complete drying is required] and apply
cover-slip+mountant. You can wipe the base & edges of the slide with a
Kimtech tissue, avoiding the specimen area. This helps you to eliminate
'water marks' on the slide surface. Avoid compressed air aerosol cans though
as these are expensive to use and can fire propellent onto the slide
surface, making a worse mess than the drying water/pbs.

Keith

*could be tap water
**could be lower grade 'deionised' water
We just happen to have de-ionised supplied to a tap in the lab and a local
MillQ water purifier. The times are 'minimum's, so you can leave the slides
in alcohol/acid etc.. for longer if you are busy in the lab.

***These expensive tissues are ideal, Blue-rolls are too inflexible/abrasive
and softer tissues give off fluff.

****or better still low pressure compressed air [air outlet via clear
plastic tubing and a in-line disposable submicron filter, plus wear safety
glasses] to blow the liquid off the slide, then airdry upright in a slotted
slide holder [if complete drying is required] and apply cover-slip+mountant.
Sadly our building has no gas or compressed air taps in the lab owing to
'health & safety' issues, so I use a very large photographic hand puffer
these days [no brush] - it's a natty number shaped like a space rocket, and
stands up on its fins:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giottos-GTAA-1901-Large-Rocket/dp/B000RGM762
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giottos-GTAA1900-Rocket-Air-Blower/dp/B00017LSPI/ref
=pd_cp_ce_0

Dr Keith J. Morris,
Molecular Cytogenetics and Microscopy Core, Laboratory 00/069 and 00/070,
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford  OX3
7BN, United Kingdom.

Telephone:  +44 (0)1865 287568
Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web-pages: http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/cytogenetics/