Subject:[mou-net] Acadian Flycatcher/ LA Waterthrush in Washington Cty
From:Linda Sparling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 7 Jun 2009 20:35:34 -0600

While exploring the Wind in the Pines Park (connected to, or part of, Falls Creek SNA) I was serenaded by an Acadian Flycatcher.  He sang pretty consistently for over 20 minutes.  I also heard the chip note of a Louisiana Waterthrush before it flushed up from the creek and landed in a low snag, giving me good looks.  Wind in the Pines is accessed from Hwy 95 (St. Croix Trail), north of William O'Brien State Park.  There's a small brown sign that reads, 'Nature Park'.  The driveway is on the east side of the road, opposite Pilar St.  Paths down to the creek, which is on the north side of the park are not easy to find, but that's where the birds were located - by the creek.

I also stopped at William O'Brien State Park and heard Wood Thrushes singing.  There were Eastern Towhees and Blue-winged Warblers, plus a nice assortment of the other 'usual suspects.

I also searched the east side of Veteran's Park (66th and 10th Av.) in Richfield for an hour today without seeing or hearing the Worm-eating Warbler.  It would be helpful if the person/s who last saw the bird could share the date and a narrower description of the location.

Linda Sparling