Subject:[mou-net] Cerulean Warblers: Dakota & Goodhue counties
From:Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:32:06 -0600

One Cerulean Warbler was found today (Sunday) at Miesville Ravine County Park in Dakota County and at least four were found along the state forest trail off of Collischan Road by Redwing in Goodhue County.

Today eleven people participated in the Minnesota River Valley Audubon field trip to Miesville Ravine.  Under perfect conditions we found the Cerulean Warbler, Blue-winged Warblers, Ovenbirds, numerous Redstarts, Eastern Towhee, Yellow-throated Vireo, and a Wood Thrush (heard).  Four of us continued to the Collischan Road trail where we found the Cerulean Warblers, and heard Ovenbirds and Scarlet Tanagers.

Directions:

Miesville: Take Hwy. 52 to Dakota Hwy. 50 east to Miesville; at Miesville take CR 91 south (right), keep left at the fork, and continue until it T's at 280th.  Turn east (left) and follow the road down into the ravine.  We took the trail from the north parking area.

Collischan Road Trail:  Take US 61 toward Red Wing.  Turn left (east) at CR46, the first intersection past the Treasure Island turn off.   Stay to the right at the fork (Collischan Road).  After the dip in the road follow it about a mile until you can turn left on a small road right past the houses.  If you see the "Minimal Maintenance Road" sign, you have gone to far.  Park and start walking.  The Ceruleans were probably a mile or more down the trail.  The last ones were at the small dry ford in the trail.

sweston2@comcast.net