Subject:[mou-net] Brown Pelican Update
From:Paul Budde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:06:18 -0600

About a dozen birders spent the afternoon looking for the Brown Pelican in
Le Sueur County today, with only a brief sighting by some in distant flight.
German Lake was very quiet, and nothing was seen there.  However, aside from
the in flight observation today (which wasn't mine), this is the only place
the bird has been seen - once on the south side of the island which is only
visible by boat or from private property, and once on the north side of the
island.  There is public access to the lake on the north side, which is an
excellent place from which to scan the lake - except for the south side of
the island.

We spent most of our time this afternoon scanning Lake Jefferson, just west
of German L., for the pelican.  The best place to look for the bird appeared
to be Swedes Bay.  The link below will show you where we saw 500+ American
White Pelicans in three separate flocks along shore and actively feeding on
the lake, and where the Brown Pelican appeared to land, though we could not
find it among the AWPEs.

Note that this area is much more accessible by boat than by car.

Good luck!

Paul Budde
Minneapolis, MN