CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2009

From:
Adrian Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:57:42 +1000
Hi all,

We are trying to set up a four colour combination for tissues sections
on our SP5 and are looking for recommendations.

The only colour that is currently "fixed" is AlexaFluor 488 (there is
a difficult reagent that is working well and the researchers don't
want to change unless they absolutely have to).

We have 405, multi-line Argon, 561 and 633 lasers on a Leica SP5.

We are considering the following and would appreciate comments:-

* Pacific Blue or Marina Blue (probably Marina based on Mike Ignatius'
comments on and off this list)

* AlexaFluor 488

* AlexaFluor 546 or 555 or 594
	- not sure which of these will be best from the point of view of (i)
brightness, (ii) photostability and (iii) overlap with the other dyes
(eg from the spectral viewer it looks like the 546 will be slightly
excited by the 488 laser for AF488, while the red dyes (below) will be
slightly excited with 561)
	- interestingly Molecular Probes include 555 in the some of their
triple label kits - I'm wondering why they have chosen that as 546
looks at least comparable on the spectral viewer (obviously more going
on -  as I hope Mike will reveal ;)

* AlexaFluor 647 or 700
	- my experience with AF700 with 633nm excitation in flow has not be
fantastic but it can be a useful dye there and it certainly has less
overlap with 546 or 594 - no idea how it performs for confocal.

	OR
  Qdot 705 or Qdot 800
	- I believe the SP5 will detect out to 800 so a lot of Qdot800 will
be lost but there is still a good part available according to the
spectral viewer.

Currently the researchers are leaning towards Marina Blue, AF488,
AF546, AF647.... anyone have a better idea?

Regards,

Adrian