CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2009

From:
"Peterson, Lauren M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:20:02 -0400
A Gaussian beam laser often has an internal aperture to restrict higher modes leaving only the lowest order TEM00.  If this is the case for your Ti:saph laser, the donut mode can often be obtained by simply replacing the aperture with one having a larger hole.  You should get considerably greater laser output power but the beam divergence will also be significantly larger.  Greater power can give you more SHG but the greater divergence will produce a larger focal spot which could reduce SHG.  It depends on which dominates.
	I don't have much experience with axicon lenses but I am skeptical about how effective it would be.  The axicon may indeed produce a donut shaped beam in the near field but in the far field and therefore the focus of your lens, you may lose your donut and you may no longer be close to the diffraction limit making the SHG much worse.

Lauren M. Peterson, PhD     Lead Physicist - Photonics
Michigan Research & Development Center
General Dynamics - Advanced Information Systems;   Integrated Space Systems
1200 Joe Hall Dr.,  P.O. Box 990       Ypsilanti, MI  48197
734-480-5303       -480-5252 FAX      ISS-SIS-ATD-EPA

      Demetrius Ypsilanti fought in the Greek war for independence against the Ottoman Empire and led the culminating Battle of Petra in 1829.