CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
"Jerry (Gerald) Sedgewick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:15:36 -0500
I haven't exactly done this application, but it appears that there are
two ways to accomplish your end.  Either you can use white light LEDs
and then rotate red, green and blue filters in front of your camera, or
you can choose combinations of LED lights to accomplish approximately
the same end.  I would advise the use of the former.

R,G, B filters in front of cameras are fairly broad bandpass filters
with some overlap (B=375nm to 525nm, G=475nm-600nm and R=600nm-675nm).
The wavelengths that emit from colored light LEDs, on the other hand,
are narrow gaussian profiles.  While one could conceivably purchase a
series of LEDs to fill out a wavelength range (e.g. for the blue
wavelength range the following LEDs could be purchased: 385, 405, 455,
470 and 505nm), this would be expensive and still would not provide the
broad illumination of R, G, B filter set with a white light source.

Also, the white light LEDs do not emit at 500nm, but this is probably a
moot point for capturing generic color images.

Jerry

--
Jerry (Gerald) Sedgewick
Core Facility Director, Biomedical Image Processing Lab (BIPL)
Author: "Scientific Imaging with Photoshop: Methods, Measurement and Output."

Rawlight.com (dba "Sedgewick Initiatives")
965 Cromwell Avenue
Saint Paul, MN  55114
651-788-2261
http://www.quickphotoshop.com