Subject:Black-backed Woodpecker- Carlton Co.
From:Jason Caddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Oct 2009 23:19:28 -0500

I was on a jog at Pine Valley in Cloquet yesterday and was very surprised to find a female Black-backed Woodpecker at eye level on the side of the trail. I did not have my binoculars but this species is not shy and I was able to get excellent close range views of the bird.

This location is on the west side of Hwy. 33 south of the Cloquet hockey arena (behind the Applebees).

I had another Black-backed Woodpecker near the lighthouse on the trail in Two Harbors today. It was a beautiful male that a Hairy Woodpecker tried to chase off the dead spruce tree by calling loudly and inching towards it. The black-backed squawked back with its much different call but did not flee. The black-backed was on the tree first anyway and I'm sure that's what it was explaining to the Hairy Woodpecker:)

Good Birding,

Jason Caddy