Subject:Park Point morning sightings & photos
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:36:28 -0500

 This morning in the freezing rain coming strong from the northeast, I
decided to take my chance at birdwatching and see if any unusual sightings
arrived with this funky northeast front moving through. The highlight of the
morning was seeing a beautiful Dunlin feeding and fluttering along the
wave-ridden beaches. With all the heavy rain and spots on the scope lens, it
was hard at first to ID this bird. Finally after seeing the longer bill,
with the overfed-sandpiper appearance in the body, it clicked! The color on
their back is so pretty this time of year... It's one of those colors that
you don't see in birds all that often... like a faded pinkish brown, but
really rich in color. Here's my list from this morning, between 7:45am and
about 8:30am-

Location:     Park Point--Dune Bridge near airport
Observation date:     10/21/09
Number of species:     9

Mallard     2
Redhead     3
Greater/Lesser Scaup     16
Dunlin     1
Ring-billed Gull     65
Herring Gull     1
American Crow     2
American Robin     1
European Starling     20
Dark-eyed Junco     2

In case you haven't heard, there was a GYRFALCON banded and displayed
up at Hawk Ridge about two weeks ago. It was amazing. I was so lucky
and got to release it! :) There was a Bald Eagle caught and banded at
the ridge this past Sunday as well! I was around in Ashland then, and
did not get to see it. It sure was sweet to see the change of colors
as the habitat fluctuated around Ashland :)
Go to this gallery to see the photos I have shot at the Ridge this fall season.
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/hawk_ridge_2009_gallery

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke

Naturally Avian