Subject:Almost November
From:Carl Greiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Oct 2009 22:32:10 -0500

This morning, on my commute, a chilling rain was coming down hard. My cars
thermometer read 36F. My wife and I were discussing how lucky we were to
have that extra 4 degrees. By noon our luck ran out and the rain had
switched to huge, fluffy, wet snowflakes. By quitting time a couple inches
covered the ground. Our commute home passed 3 cars in the ditch and a
semi-truck/pickup truck accident. I also saw several thousand blackbirds and
a quarter dozen red-tails. Snow.poor driving conditions.birds, It must be
almost time for the Minnesota Christmas Bird Count!

For the past couple years I have nagged you to get out and join a CBC
starting in September and roughly monthly thereafter until the CBC season
opens. This year I have been negligent and it is almost November and I have
yet to remind anyone of the importance of the CBC. I have not even brought
up the immeasurable fun you would have if you joined a CBC. It reminds me of
an cartoon someone sent me this week. Two dinosaurs are standing on a cliff
overlooking the sea. In the distance Noah's Ark is sailing away. One
dinosaur turns to the other and says "Crap, was that today?" It really is
funny if you can see the cartoon.

So shake the mothballs out of your long underwear and head to
http://moumn.org/CBC/index.php and find a location or two or three. and join
up. Oh and in case you were getting used to my old notifications and am
wondering who cares about 2 inches of snow, dinosaurs, and Noah's Ark. St.
Paul North now leads Bloomington in the Metro Mallard Wars 169,661 to
165,065. As a side note we only have 26,160 more to go to reach a million
Mallards counted on the CBC. In the past 3 years, we have counted
approximately 25,000, 30,000, and 42,000 Mallards. The odds are good.
Imagine the crowds that would gather around you at the next cocktail party
as you told the story of how you braved the elements to uncover Minnesota's
millionth Mallard.

Feel free to contact me with any CBC related questions or visit
http://moumn.org/CBC or http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/

Carl Greiner

M.O.U CBC Coordinator

1616 Hill St. S.W.