Subject:Bluebirds
From:James Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:13:34 -0500

Sorry for the delay but didn't have access to laptop till this morning. I went to Carpenter St Croix Nature Center Sunday afternoon. Nothing great but did have a late Palm Warbler. The #'s of Bluebirds and Waxwings were what was impressive. Along the trail to the bluff is a thicket of red osier dogwood and several trees with significant grapes still on the vine. My best estimate was 150-170 Bluebirds and slightly less 120-130 Waxwings. Quite a sight in beautiful afternoon light. Further down the loop trail there are 2 nice size stands of White Pine. A small mixed flock of Nuthatches and Kinglets flitting about. Predominately Red-Breasted Nuthatches with at least 25-30 present. On the way out there were still a few RW Blkbirds at the small pond by the entrance. A really nice spot with beautiful vistas overlooking the St. Croix. Has anyone been there in the spring during migration. Seems like a likely spot.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/default.aspx?CBID=wl&ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_pcscout:102009