Subject:Gulls at Superior Entry Way. WI Pt.
From:Michael Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:06:08 -0700

My last post the other day I reported an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull. I took some long distance photos of the gull and shared the photo with some local birders. Kim Eckert responded to let me know the leg color was wrong as well as the size and shape.  I spotted this gull on 10/28 at 1:30pm.  I knew at the time the leg was wrong and size looked wrong but even birders like myself can be lazy or play it safe and make a wrong call on the ID.

Today I was inform that Karl Bardon reported a Slaty-backed Gull 2 hours after I left the site.  I was also informed a first cycle IceLand Gull was seen by Karl as well on 10/28.

Today I there from 1:15pm to 3:45pm along with Peder Svingen and Denny & Barb Martin.

Birds seen on the Mn side of the entry way.

- Thayer's Gulls ( I saw 1-2 first cycle birds )
- Iceland Gull ( 1st cycle gull )
- Glaucous Gull ( I did not see this gull )
- 14 Bonaparte's gulls

Other than Bald Eagles keeping the gulls active as far as making them leave the breakwall off and on during the time I was there BUT and I mean BUT on the WI side of the breakwall a photographer was taking photos of a nude woman on the steps of the lighthouse in 40 degree temps! Thus there were no gulls seen on the WI side of the breakwall during the half hour photo session!!

Good birding today (-;

Mike

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota