Subject:new yard birds
From:[log in to unmask]
Date:Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:31:02 -0500

I went out and filled our feeders this morning with lots of hulled
sunflower seeds.  This brought in the hordes of chickadees and
nuthatches (white- and red-breasted) that I've been feeding, but also
two entirely unexpected birds.  First, a Rusty Blackbird came in and
was foraging on the seed I spilled.  It hung around for an hour or so,
coming in and feeding, then heading off to the woods.  Not long
afterward, a Northern Shrike came in and scared off all the chickadees
and nuthatches.  The Blue Jays were unfazed, though, so the shrike
made a half-hearted pass at one of them before flying off.  Two great
new yard birds in one morning!

Matt Etterson
Haugen Lane, Duluth (Jacobs Lake)
Southern St. Louis County.

This message was sent using the University of Minnesota Duluth Webmail