Subject:Black-legged Kittiwake plus 7 species of gulls
From:Michael Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:50:25 -0700

I arrived at the Superior Entry at the end of Wisconsin Point at 9:45am.  Peder Svingen joined me for a day of gull watching around 10:45am and we left at 4:30pm. Tom Bloom from Mpls. came by and spent sometime with us as well.

Highlights:

Immature Black-legged Kittiwake:  I first noticed the kittiwake most likely in Wisconsin waters and say this because the gull was slightly towards the WI side of the entry way. The Kittiwake was flying northeast towards Duluth allowing Peder Svingen, Tom Bloom and myself to watch the gull drift towards Duluth for about 3-4 minutes before we loss sight of the gull as it kept moving down Minnesota Pt.

2. Thayer's Gulls  ( 10 first cycle gulls, 2 adults and one 2nd winter gull )
3. Iceland Gull ( 1st cycle gull )
4. Great Black-backed Gull ( 1st cycle gull )
5. Lesser Black-backed Gull ( adult )
6. Glaucous Gull ( 1st cycle gull )
7. Ring-billed Gull ( 40 gulls )
8. Herring Gull ( 1800 gulls )