Subject:Northbound finch flight continues - Lake County
From:Cameron Rutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Oct 2009 18:40:04 -0500

Like yesterday, Purple Finches continued to move en masse today (10/5)
along the North Shore.  And just like yesterday, the movement was
again NNE/NE, up the shore (I only had 7 going the "right way," down
the shore).  I spent a good chunk of the day (810 - 1530) surveying
from a shoreline site just off of County Road 6, Little Marais.  By
count's end, I had accumulated a nice tally of 757 Purple Finches
(PUFI).  The bulk of the birds were seen early in the survey (475
between 810 and 930) but small flocks continued to move all day, with
36 seen the last hour (1430 - 1530).  I know I missed the beginning of
the flight too; during the hike into the count location, I was
consistently within earshot of PUFIs and I even heard additional birds
while awaiting pick-up in the late afternoon.  With no overlap between
yesterday's count in Lutsen, the two-day total is a whopping 1586
PUFIs winging their way towards Canada.

Ten Pine Siskins, 7 Evening Grosbeaks, and 2 White-winged Crossbills
joined the PUFIs, all seen heading the same direction.  Combined with
yesterday's finches, this means that the only expected finch on the
North Shore - at this time of the year - not joining the northbound
movement was American Goldfinches...at least not yet.

    Good Birding,
       Cameron Rutt
       Duluth,
       St. Louis County