Subject:Black-backed Woodpeckers in northern St Louis County
From:Dee Kuder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:32:50 -0500

On Sunday I found a female Black-backed Woodpecker on the Vermilion River
Gorge Hiking Trail in Crane Lake in northern St Louis County.

Then on Monday I found a male Black-backed Woodpecker at the Herriman Lake
Hiking Trail. Other migrants were Hermit Thrush, Winter Wren, Fox Sparrow,
and numerous Golden-crowned Kinglets, Juncos and Yellow-rumped Warblers. The
highlight was hearing an adult and a juvenile Sandhill Crane flying overhead
- couldn't see them through the cover of the forest. I also heard two Ruffed
Grouse drumming from two different locations.

Purple Finches and Evening Grosbeaks seem to be on the move too.

Dee Kuder

Crane Lake, MN 55725