Subject:Jackson Co. birds of late
From:Eric Harrold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:33:47 -0700

Folks,

This morning as I headed to work, at roughly 7:10 AM I saw an owl fly up off the road in front of me about 100 yards ahead. It lifted up off the road and then almost immediately went down and landed in a soybean field. It looked a little smallish for a GHOW and I suspect it was a Short-eared. Wish I could have seen more detail but a silhouette and the behavior is about all I could get.

Kilen Woods SP has been alive with migrant activity, particularly sparrows. White-throats have been here nearly two weeks now and I've also seen Fox, Clay-colored, and Swamps in the park. There has been good numbers of Orange-crowned Warblers and the usual flood of Yellow-rumped as well. Bald Eagles, Red-tails, and Sharpies are still coursing down the West Des Moines river valley each time I visit the park.

Wish there were as many Woodies this fall along the river. All it took to end that was my purchase of a hunting license and waterfowl stamp. Nowhere to be seen.

Eric Harrold
Lakefield, MN