Subject:Erie Pier
From:John Lundy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Oct 2009 15:47:18 -0500

Can someone enlighten me about the Erie Pier / 40th Avenue West area
of West Duluth?
Today was the second time I tried to follow up a lead there, and the
second time I got tossed out.
I apologize to fellow birders for that ... I don't want to give bird-
watching a bad name by being a scofflaw. And indeed, when I bothered
to check the signs on the way out as I should have on the way in,  I
saw that I had been an unauthorized visitor on U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers property.
But I know that highly respected, experienced birders are seeing
birds in that area.
So my question is: Is there a place in that area where you can go
legitimately? Is there a place where you can park legitimately and
then walk legitimately? (Except for a little bit of roadway,
everything seems to be either private property or government property.)
Or do birders who go there first obtain written permission from the
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and/or other property owners?
I've read numerous references to birding at Erie Pier / 40th Avenue
West over the years, but I don't recall anyone explaining what's OK
and what's not OK.
John Lundy
West Duluth