Subject:Re: Erie Pier
From:Jim Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Oct 2009 08:06:56 -0500

John,

Kim's excellent response is pretty much a how-to for Erie Pier.  Keep in mind that you are visiting property that is not dedicated to birding.  It is a working waterfront that happens to support birds.  Worlds collide here.

Respect the privilege of being able to visit/bird a special place in Duluth.  I have had good experiences here, but I have also visited the Army Corps office and talked to the person in charge of the facility, explaining who I am, why I'm there, etc.  They generally like birders (we're not vandals, and we're extra sets of eyes for those who are).   Introduce yourself to workers in the area, ask if it's ok to be near where they're working, and respect their response.  They have liability issues (lots of loose soil) so they may not want you in certain areas.

Bottom line:  be respectful and diplomatic.