Subject:Wisconsin Point Long-tailed Jaeger and more
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Oct 2009 21:26:42 -0500

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I posted on the MOU listserve. This morning two Hawk
Ridge friends and I went to Wisconsin Point at sunrise, and had a very
successful morning! We observed:

Common Mergansers - 3
Scaup - 1
Parasitic Jaeger - 2
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull

There was one other individual jaeger not mentioned in the previous tally of
birds... when we first saw it fly by, it was much heavier and bulkier in
appearance, with slightly slower wingbeats at full-speed. Our
initial/overall impression was Pomarine Jaeger, but without photo evidence,
I'm not too confident in making that call with jaegers just yet :)

Attached is the link to 4 of my jaeger photos from today:

The Long-tailed Jaeger was a life bird for me, and boy was I excited!! Note
the grayish back contrasting with the black wing ends, tipped off at the
outer primaries with thin 'strips' of white plumage (not a whole set of
white primaries, as seen Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers). This bird's wings
do have a slender appearance, but I've seen Parasitic Jaegers with a
somewhat slender-winged appearance as well. Please feel free to comment on
the ID of these birds, as I am trying to understand jaeger ID from people
who are more experienced with them! Here's the Long-tailed Jaeger photo:

I'll have more photos coming throughout this fall. I recently got a Canon
40D with a Canon 100-400 lens, and I am having a field day with my new toys.

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke

Duluth, MN