Subject:Major southbound Purple Finch flight - Lakewood, St. Louis County
From:Cameron Rutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:02:27 -0500

Ramsay Koury and I staked out a section of Lakewood Road, just north
of North Shore Community Church for 3.5 hours this morning (730 -
1100), essentially at the Lakewood Pumping Station.  After a three-day
total of 2175 northbound Purple Finches along the North Shore (10/4,
10/5, and 10/7), there was finally a big push heading in the "right"
direction (almost a matching 2035 for this morning).  For the first
two hours (less than 300 were seen in the final 1.5 hours), Purple
Finches were moving at a very steady clip, with today's tally besting
the previous state high count of 1309 (17 December 2005 on the Duluth
CBC).  A nice variety of other passerines were tallied, with some
birds, of course, being left unidentified.

Blue Jay - 22
Common Raven - 5
American Crow - 81
Horned Lark - 31
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 6
American Robin - 1207
American Pipit - 36
Cedar Waxwing - 114
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 139 (assumed to be mostly/all YRWAs)
Lapland Longspur - 69
Rusty Blackbird - 91
Common Grackle - 1
Purple Finch - 2035
House Finch - 1
American Goldfinch - 260
Pine Siskin - 35

Total = 4133

Later in the day, at Stoney Point, we added a trio of Rough-legged
Hawks heading out over the lake, an Eastern Phoebe, and six species of
warblers.  Aside from the still cold-stressed Yellow-rumped Warblers,
we managed a Tennessee Warbler, 3 Nashville Warblers, 3 Orange-crowned
Warblers, a single Cape May Warbler, and 8 Palm Warblers.

   Good Birding,
      Cameron Rutt
      Duluth,
      St. Louis County