Subject:waxwing tricolor tail tips
From:dan&erika <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:42:48 -0500

Hi All--

Erika and I banded 22 Cedar Waxwings all caught at the same time in
Northfield today, 13 October 2009.  One was interesting: it had a tricolored
tail!  Its right outer tail feather tip was white.  The central feathers
where yellow-tipped.  the left two outer feathers were orange-tipped.

I have read about orange-tipped waxwing feathers before.  See, for example:

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/JFO/v063n02/p0212-p0216.html

I have never heard of tricolored tail tips.  Here is a photo of our bird:

http://www.northern.edu/tallmand/dat/misc/waxwingtail.jpg

dan and erika

--
Dan or Erika Tallman
Northfield, Minnesota

".... the best shod travel with wet feet"
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes ...."--Thoreau