Subject:Carver County American Pipit and Magnolia Warbler
From:John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:14:49 +0000

This morning there was an American Pipit at Chevalle wetlands feeding along the side of the road(south of wetlands) and in the grass along the curb.   I'm not sure what the late date for Magnolia Warbler is, but a female was at Chaska Lake MVNWR.   She was following an Orange-crowned along the stream that runs along the trail between Chaska Lake and the Minnesota River.   I spoke too soon about seeing my last House Wren, as there was one at Rapids Lake MVNWR this morning.  There were only a couple Golden-crowned Kinglets this morning at Rapids Lake with a lot of Ruby-crowned (a couple at Chaska Lake).  Besides the Magnolia Warbler, there was a late Tennessee and Palm at Rapids Lake, Orange-crowned at Rapids and Chaska Lake, and Yellow-rumped Warbler at Chaska Lake.  I finally found a couple Hermit Thrush this fall, 1 at Rapids and 1 at Chaska Lake.   Rapids Lake was filled with sparrow(mainly Fox, White-throated, Song, and Junco) but there were a few Lincoln's, Field, a Vesper, and a White-crowned.    Another White-crowned Sparrow was near the entrance to the Chaska Athletic Park with a small flock of White-throated and Song Sparrows.

It was also interesting to watch the the resident pair of Bald Eagle at Rapids Lake attacking and chasing an intruding adult eagle.     While I haven't seen the pair of Great Horned Owl at Rapids Lake for several weeks, a Great Horned Owl has been out hunting the last couple times I have been out at Chaska Lake including today.  An American Kestrel was also hunting at Chevalle wetlands today.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222985/direct/01/