Subject:Re: ? on Caspians Tern at Purgatory creek
From:Joel Claus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:47:14 -0500

Hello all,

I check Purgatory periodically and haven't noticed any attempted nesting on "Tern Island".  The problem with Purgatory is that it functions as the Eden Prairie municipal storm water holding basin which limits it's utility as nesting habitat.  Water levels in the wetland change dramatically after a good rainfall and the island can disappear for days or even weeks at a time.  It was underwater for at least several days earlier this summer after we had a couple of good downpours in August.  I can't remember a recent year where the island was above water for the entire summer.

Joel Claus

Eden Prairie

> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:50:48 -0500
> From: dbmartin@SKYPOINT.COM
> Subject: [mou-net] ? on Caspians Tern at Purgatory creek
> To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
>
> I noted this AM that one of the Caspian Terns at Purgatory Creek this AM was a juvenile with a yellow bill, white and gray speckled back, etc. While I was there it did not fly (so have no idea if it can or not) and was fed by an adult. I know many other birders are much more regular about checking this site than we are.
>
> Did these bird nest here this year? If so, this is very interesting as there are, I believe, only two previous nesting records for the state of Minnesota, Cass and Mille Lacs Counties. The Mille Lacs record was on Lake Mille Lacs (Hennepin Island I think I remember) and I presume that the Cass record was on Leech Lake, although I am not sure of that.
>
> Looking forward to any responses. Responses should be sent to the list as I am sure that many others are as interested in the answer as we are.
>
> Denny
>
> Dennis and Barbara Martin
> Shorewood, MN
> dbmartin@skypoint.com
>
> ----
> Archives:http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.