Subject:Three Loons & More
From:Pastor Al Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Oct 2009 08:05:06 -0500

So, it's mid-October, cold, occasionally snowy, the birding must be slow.

Not!

* The MOU Mille Lacs field trip yesterday (20 participants, did some stay
behind due to the cold?) enjoyed one Pacific and two Red-throated Loons on
the smooth as glass lake.  The Pacific look  was particularly clear &
enjoyable.  We covered the west side of the lake from the southwest corner
(CR 35) to Garrison.  Further details available upon request

* Nate & my visit to Duluth on Friday was most enjoyable.  See his post from
yesterday for details, but any trip that includes Long-tailed Ducks, Black &
Surf Scoters, Lesser Black-backed and Thayer's Gulls is well worth the time.
(Eight species of sparrow were still around, including a Harris'; also
enjoyed the pipits).  Since Nate is a high school senior, this might be our
last fall Duluth trip together, a bittersweet thought.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties