Subject:Grosbeak
From:James Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:42:06 -0500

I saw an immature male Rose-breasted Grosbeak at the Bog @ Wirth Park yesterday. I'm new to the cities and Mn.. Is it late for this species? Also, I must admit that my first impression was female Black-headed due to the extent of the buffiness, all the way down thru the belly, and the lack of streaking. The bird posed long enough for me to note the lack other field marks to confirm Blk-headed. I am aware that Blk-headed grosbeaks are accidental here. When I got home I cked some guides and was not able to find an accurate depiction of the bird I saw. I picked up my copy of A Birder's Guide to Mn. and checked the grosbeaks. Kudos to Kim Eckert for noting exactly what I had observed, a juvy male Rose-breasted with extensive buffiness sans visible streaking.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/