Subject:Waseca/Blue Earth Counties
From:Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:00:57 -0500

Hi everyone,

  John Hockema and I had every intention of birding Faribault County today, but we just didn't get there. It must have been the wind!

  Birding was sort of slow at times but we were able to see some nice ones.

Waseca County-

1 Western Grebe on Clear Lake and 1 Horned Grebe as well.

1 Eastern Phoebe at Loon Lake.

3 Trumpeter Swans and 1 Bonaparte's Gull at the Janesville Waste Stabilization Ponds. There were also quite a few Tree Swallows and Barn Swallows here, plus some American Pipits.

Blue Earth-

1 RED-NECKED PHALAROPE at the Mapleton Sewage Ponds. This was quite ironic after studying the Gaylord Red Phalarope the day before. Very educational! There were also lots of American Pipits here.

1 Horned Grebe at Lura Lake.

3 Eastern Phoebes at Daly Park

We had a couple of warbler "waves" in both counties. Nothing too unusual-Orange-crowned and Yellow-rumps, plus both kinglets.

  The wind made things pretty tough. With the warmth of the day, I can't imagine how could it may have been if it were calm!

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey

Faribault, MN