Subject:Carver County
From:John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Oct 2009 00:03:51 +0000

Yesterday  and today proved once again to be quite active.   Even with
the wind today, there was plenty of activity.   It helps that
there are many areas protected from the wind.   Though there weren't
any less common migrant sparrow today there were a lot of Junco,
White-throated, and Fox Sparrow.

 It seems like Carver County is the stopover for Golden-crowned
Kinglets this fall.  I have never seen so many during any past season.
  There were a dozen at Spring Peeper Meadow and along portions of the
the North Star Trail(U of M Arboretum) yesterday.   Half of
those(sounded like I missed a few, but those are tough birds to get
accurate counts when in groups) were in the pines/low shrubs that
border Peeper Meadow and the apple orchard.  Today at Carver Park I
counted another 11.   Ruby-crowned were outnumbered yesterday but not
today.

A Merlin was hunting at Carver Park this morning, and a Sharp-shinned
Hawk was hunting at Peeper Meadow yesterday.   The orchard has a
recording that is played sporatically over a loudspeaker that includes
a couple hawk calls, a woodpecker warning call, and what sounds like a
car struggling to start.   I guess it is meant to keep certain birds
away, but I'm don't think it was working. There was a Yellow-rumped
Warbler that flew towards the call, Canada Geese in the grass not
startled at all, and blackbirds going back and forth between the
orchard and wire.   I wonder if the Sharp-shinned Hawk heard the
recording of the hawk calls and decided to check out the area?

Other highlights included Bufflehead and 2 Horned Grebe at Carver
Park,  6 Eastern Phoebe(4 at Carver Park, 2 at Chevalle), a House Wren
in some brush right below a perched Great Horned Owl at Peeper Meadow,
Red-breasted Nuthatch(in pines bordering meadow), 2 Brown Creeper(North
Star Trail), Tree, Barn Swallow, several Bluebird, Hermit Thrush(both
days), Tennessee(North Star Trail), Orange-crowned(both days),
Palm(Peeper Meadow and North Star Trail), Yellow-rumped(both days)
Warbler, Lincoln's Sparrow(North Star Trail), and 6 juvenile and adult
White-crowned Sparrows at Peeper Meadow.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222985/direct/01/