Subject:Black backed woodpeckers in Hedbom Bog.
From:[log in to unmask]
Date:Sat, 13 Feb 2010 00:50:54 -0500

This evening I had the pleasure of running into two cool dudes from Iowa while birding in the Hedbom Bog by Floodwood.  I had already observed and photographed a male black backed woodpecker before meeting the gentlemen from Iowa.  They asked if I'd seen any woodpeckers so we gave it another go and discovered two males and one female foraging in close proximity of one another (on the left hand side of the road as you drive in).  This is the largest congregation of this species I've encountered this year.  There is also still a northern hawk owl at this location, unfortunately I was unable to observe the owl hunting during the three hours I watched it.  The owl did follow me around however, like literally follow me around, everywhere....curious.  Stark contrast from the behavior I had the fortune of observing from this owl after I first discovered it back in December. If you would like to see an image of the male blackbacked woodpecker check out the showcase section of MOU.  There is now about a mile to two mile section of Hedbom Rd. that has been plowe, coming in from the Floodwood side, then you have to follow other vehicle tracks in.  There is a spot to turn around near but before the classic woodpecker workings area.  If you go, I would still strongly suggest only going with a four wheel drive or at least all wheel drive vehicle and get yourself turned around at the turn around spot, it's VERY difficult to get turned around elsewhere without running the risk of getting stuck.  Once your vehicle is turned around just walk down the road, the hawk owl hangs out on the right hand side of the road in a couple acre clear cut area, woodpeckers typically on the right.
Regards,
Shawn Zierman.