Subject:Black-Backed Woodpecker
From:Pastor Al Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:17:58 -0600

The Black-backed Woodpecker, previously discovered by Diana Doyle on
Saturday, was present this morning at Ann Lake (gorgeous male).

Her directions were excellent (200 yards east of the parking lot, on your
right, follow her trail in).  The bird could be clearly heard from the road,
walked in to the conifers 50-60 feet to view (mild amount of bushwhacking).

A Common Raven was calling, and believe I heard distant WW Crossbills as
well (no sign of the Red Crossbills, didn't see the Townsend's in a brief
scan).  Chickadees were upset about something farther up the road near the
reported Saw-whet area, but they had dispersed by the time I walked back out
from the BB area.

Mite chilly.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher