Subject:ebird versus MOU Submit Sightings?
From:Diana Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:46:44 -0600

The recent arrival of The Loon in my mailbox reminded me of a quandary:

Log my Minnesota bird sightings using ebird or MOU Submit Sightings?

I'd be interested to hear others' opinions and knowledge about how the databases intersect and are (or are not) shared.

For example, does MOU integrate the ebird records, implying that submitting sightings to ebird is "enough"? If not, are there plans to integrate them in the future?

Part of me thinks it is important to log local sightings with our local organization. But ebird is a pretty slick way to record and share sightings.

Obviously one quick-fix is to say "record observations into both databases" ---  but I barely have time to log them at all!

So far I've been logging MN sightings through the MOU website and using ebird to record my out-of-state birding.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas?

Thanks,

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis