Subject:Northern Shrike in Duluth
From:David Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:01:47 -0600

I heard a thump on a window a few minutes ago. This is unusual here--my
feeders are very close to the windows, and I haven't witnessed a
"feeder crash" since I put them there. I walked up to the inside of the
window and saw a Northern Shrike on the ground eating a male House Finch.
After the finch was definitely dead, the shrike flew off with the bird. I
realize now that I probably saw this same shrike chasing a robin the other
day, but I couldn't tell for sure what the predator was.

Dave Benson
Duluth
(5th Street and 16th Ave E)