Subject:Re: SS hawk after pileated
From:Sandy Aubol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:43:14 -0800

I find this very interesting as yesterday I witnessed something very similar. I spent about half an hour watching a Sharp-shinned Hawk chase 2 Pileated Woodpeckers. I had a male and a female Pileated trying to coming to my suet and a Sharp-shinned Hawk came in and began chasing them. The hawk would chase one a short distance until it would land in a tree near the other, then the hawk would sit up above them. The Pileateds would work their way up the tree closer to the hawk and then the hawk would give chase again. The male took a break and ate some suet and then joined the female in a tree near the hawk and it would start all over again. It was amazing to watch. It looked like maybe a territorial fight to me, I can't imagine the SS thought she was going to have Pileated for lunch. The Pileateds finally left and the SS sat in my tree waiting for its lunch to arrive. A crow came to harrass it but soon left to go across the street and join about a
 dozen other crows in harrassing a Great horned Owl that was trying to snooze over there.

Sandy Aubol
Polk County
East Grand Forks, MN