Subject:Sax-Zim; Sunday, and the near future
From:linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:59:06 -0600

Despite shared disappointment over the DNR's dismantling of the
feeding stations on public property, a birding companion and I enjoyed
a fine day in the bog Sunday.  The dismantled station sites were still
being visited by a large number of birds, some of them seed-eaters,
and others still seeking animal protein. Perhaps the latter will
eventually spend more time at residential feeder sites that offer
suet. In any case, I would encourage others to continue visiting the
area to bird; there are many species to be seen that don't necessarily
frequent the feeding stations. The hawk owl, eagle, ravens, even the
Snow Buntings, and White-winged Crossbills we saw are examples. We saw
just as many gray jays on the railroad tracks as at feeders. The
majority of pine siskins and redpolls we saw were at feeding stations,
but also fed in trees, as did the pine grosbeaks. The evening grosbeak
was an exception, as the only one seen yesterday happened to be at a
feeder, but they're often unpredictable at any given location;
likewise, the Great Grey Owls, Magpie, and Spruce Grouse that eluded
us. We'd probably have to spend time hiking and do some pishing to
find the Black-backed woodpeckers and Boreal Chickadees we missed on
this trip, too, but there were plenty of other birds to compensate for
the misses.
It's important to engage the DNR in discussion and express our support
for the feeding stations and the use of carcasses. In the meanwhile,
we should continue to show the local residents who have welcomed us,
that we appreciate the marvelous natural resource they have in their
environment, as well as their hospitality.
Linda Whyte