Subject:Three-toed Woodpeckers
From:Joel Claus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:30:04 -0600

Hello all,

I spent the weekend touring Koochiching and Lake of the Woods Counties.  Highlights were American Three-toed woodpeckers in both counties.  In Koochiching county, I had one 1.9 mile S on CR 13 from it's junction with CR1.  The Lake of the Woods bird was on the west side of Faunce Rd, 0.8 mile south from the junction with the Bankton Trail.

Other weekend highlights:

Northern Goshawk - LOTW along the Rapid River Road at the Pepin Bridge

Northern Hawk Owl - 3 in Koochiching county, 2 along CR 86 (Sand Mark Rd) and 1 along Hwy 71 a few miles south of Big Falls.  I also relocated the Cass County Hawk Owl reported by Ben W along CR73 on Saturday.

Boreal Chickadees - 5 in Koochiching on the Tuomey Williams Rd maybe 1/4 mile N from CR30.

Bohemian Waxwings - small flocks in the towns of Emily (Crow Wing County) on Saturday, and Kelliher (Beltrami County) on Monday.

Red Crossbills were seen in several locations along Faunce Rd in LOTW and there was a flock of White-wings in the vicinity of Norris Camp on Sunday.  Pine Grosbeaks were found in most of the towns in the area and were scattered throughout Beltrami Island state forest as were Common Redpolls.

Unfortunately, my target bird was Spruce Grouse which were uncooperative as usual.  My thanks to Ted Dick of the MN DNR for some excellent suggestions on birding spots in Koochiching and Lake of the Woods counties.

Joel Claus

Eden Prairie