Subject:SAx-Zim Bog Festival Results
From:Michael Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:59:29 -0800

Hello:

This is few days late and I apologize.  Monica had major surgery on Monday and it was a very successful surgery.  A ton of stress and fears were lifted on Monday afternoon and as a family we are smiling and very grateful that all is well.

The festival attracted 120 birders from all over which is down about 25 birders from our average.  Of the 120 participants 102 were new registrants!  We had 16 states represented and Minnesota was the top state with the most participants followed by Florida, YES Florida not WI or Iowa but Florida!

Kim Risen did a excellent presentation on birds of Mexico!!  Al Batt did a outstanding job as he always does with another great story of life on a farm and birds.

Birds sighted on Friday - Sunday

Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser
Ruffed Grouse
Sharp-tailed Grouse ( Aitkin Co. )
Bald Eagle
Golden Eagle ( nice description flying over the "bog" )
Northern Goshawk
Herring Gull
Iceland Gull
Thayer's Gull
Glaucous Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Northern Hawk Owl(s)  Two new sightings in the bog! 1. on CR 47 south of 133 2. Toivola on CR 5 All together 6-8 Northern Hawk Owls were seen in the Sax-Zim Bog area and another 3-4 Hawk Owls in Aitkin Co.
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Black-backed Woodpecker ( McDavitt Rd 2.5 mi N of CR 28 and Admiral Rd feeder area or 3.5 mi north of Kolu Rd on Admiral RD.)
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Shrike
Gray Jay
Blue Jay
Crow
Raven
Black-capped Chickadee
Boreal Chickadee (Admiral Rd feeder)
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Robin
Starling
Snow Bunting
Pine Grosbeak
Purple Finch
White-winged Crossbill
Common Redpoll
Hoary Redpoll Seen on the McDavitt Rd 2.5 - 3.0 miles north of Sax Rd or in the Spruce/Tamarack bog mixed in with Common Redpolls
Pine Siskin
Am. Goldfinch
Evening Grosbeak coming to a private feeder with Sparky's photo workshop and Blue Spruce Rd feeder
House Sparrow

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/