Subject:Great Gray Owl Aitkin County
From:Michael Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:11:01 -0500

My wife and I and Ann and Howard Rosenberg from Toledo, Ohio  spent
Presidents weekend in Duluth looking for winter birds.

On Sunday, we found a very cooperative Great Gray Owl on CR 18   0.6
miles east of Pietz's road  in Aitkin County  at 5:00. It  initially
perched along the road and we then flew up to a limb directly across
from our car and sat there for 15 minutes with fantastic views  A life
bird for the four of us.

Other highlights from the weekend

Northern Hawk Owls found  along County road 133, County road 7 and
Stone Lake roads in St Louis county and at the corner of CR 5 and CR 18
in Aitkin county.  We found a total of 12 NHO over the weekend

Black Billed magpie along Dart Road in Sax Zim Bog on 2/14

Bald Eagle along CR 5 in Aitkin County  2/14

Northern Shrike along Stone Lake road  in St Louis county on 2/13

White Winged Crossbills along Tischer road in St Louis county on 2/16

Glaucous gull at the Superior Dump on 2/16

Boreal chickadees  and Gray Jays  at Admiral Road feeder

Multiple purple finches at Little Whiteface feeders.  Nice assortment of
winter finches at the various  Meadowlands feeders

Michael Gordon
Sylvania, Ohio