Subject:Great Gray Owl hooting, Saw-whets tooting
From:sparky stensaas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 19 Feb 2010 05:07:04 +0000

On a beautiful afternoon in a remote part of Aitkin County, I heard the territorial booming/hooting of a Great Gray. Gearing up for April breeding, I guess. It was about 4pm...well before dark. Shawn Zierman and I also found 4 Black-backed Woodpeckers (3males/1female) in the area.

The area is a half mile walk in and it was heard another quarter mile into the woods so not much chance of seeing it.

Also several N. Saw-whets singing in Carlton County (at my home and at Larry Weber's) this evening.

Sparky Stensaas
2515 Garthus Road
Wrenshall, MN 55797
218.341.3350 cell