Subject:Blue Earth County Sunday
From:Chad Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:13:08 -0800

Hey Birders,

Tom Dahlen and I had a chance to get out for a couple of hours this afternoon and cruise through the Watonwan River Valley.  The best highlight was an adult Golden Eagle that was extremely cooperative.  The bird's crop was bulging and we debated whether its behavior indicated it was migrating or not.  The bird was last viewed just east of CR20/Deerwood Rd. along the Watonwan River and heading downstream toward Garden City.  That was at 3:30 Sunday afternoon.

The other significant highlight was a Eurasian Collared-Dove in Mankato.  Tom indicates he has seen upwards of 4 birds on the west side of 3rd Avenue, particularly 1 block west on Chestnut.  A cooperative bird was perched on the power line upon our arrival.

Other highlights: 65 Horned Larks, American Tree Sparrow, Cooper's Hawk

Happy birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN