Subject:NE Minnesota, February 17-21
From:Les,Angie & Tucker Lutter
Date:Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:29:59 -0600

My dad and I drove up from Iowa and spent this much of this past week birding around northeastern Minnesota. We saw some nice birds including life birds for me such as Spruce Grouse, Iceland Gull (WI), Great Gray Owl, and American Three-toed Woodpecker. Below this message (below my name) is the list of the best birds we saw. It is split up by day, then location, and then species. White-winged Crossbills were plentiful, especially in Two Harbors, no Bohemian Waxwings though.

To see photos from the trip click on the link here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/backpackingbirdwatcher/
I will be adding photos over the next couple days.

I am also going to be blogging about this trip. To see the blog posts which will be started tomorrow click here: http://birdingwithtucker.blogspot.com/

Tucker J. Lutter, 16
Bronson, IA

February 17
  Two Harbors
    -Glaucous Gull 2 (1 ad, 1 juv at Agate Bay)
    -Northern Hawk Owl 1 (Flood Bay Rd)

February 18
  Sax-Zim Bog
    -Northern Hawk Owl 2 (Stony Lake Rd, 4 miles N of Sax on 7)
    -Boreal Chickadee only 1(Admiral Feeders)
    -Common Redpolls (mostly along Stony Lake Rd)
    and the other usual bog residents...

  Superior Landfill, WI (no gulls in Duluth)
    -Glaucous Gull (hard to tell how many, maybe around eight, mostly juv some ad)
    -Iceland Gull 2 juv

February 19-all birds listed below seen in Lake County
  Hwy 1
    -Northern Hawk Owl 1 (3 miles south of Isabella)

  Stony River Road-Whyte Road
    -Great Gray Owl 1-2 (we lost track of the first bird and found one a half mile
    south of the first one. Seen 6 miles north of Whyte Rd on Stony River Road)
    -Spruce Grouse 4 (two birds, male and female, were seen 2 miles east on Whyte from Stony River Road.
    Two individuals were along Stony River Road south of Whyte-one was 1.5 miles south and one
    was 4.8 miles south)

  County Road 2
    -Northern Hawk Owl 1 (south of the Sandstone R)

  Spruce Road
    -American Three-toed Woodpecker 1 male (3.5 miles n of Hwy 1 near the
    Snowmobile Trail)

February 20
  Two Harbors
    -Long-tailed Duck 2 (male and female Agate Bay)
    -Red-breasted Merganser (ditto)
    and nothing of interest at Grand Marais...

February 21
  I-35 north of Minneapolis
    Trumpeter Swan 2 (flying over the interstate 1 mile north of Harris)