Subject:Franklin's Gull, Dakota/Wash. Counties
From:Dedrick Benz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 Feb 2010 02:52:40 +0000

I decided to check out the sea duck action in Prescott this afternoon, to no avail.  The Franklin's Gull, however was still around at the Lock & Dam in Hastings.

I drove up from Winona, and noticed that Goldeneye #s seemed way down in general.  The pulloff at the eastern end of Lake Pepin, which is usually loaded with ducks in winter was empty.  I didn't try too hard to look through trees for Barrow's in this area.

Good numbers of Trumpeter Swans (several dozen?) were at Prescott and Reads Landing.  I've gotten used to seeing a pair or two here and there in recent winters, but the numbers this year seem to be signifigantly up, truly busting out of their Monticello stronghold.

There was a Peregrine Falcon hanging out in Red Wing at the 1st grain elevators upriver from the Amtrak Station.

Dedrick Benz

Winona, MN