Subject:Re: Pileated Woodpecker - Dakota County
From:Cathy Gagliardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Feb 2010 21:10:10 -0600

Hi Bernard,
 Wow, so sorry to hear they are doing this for nesting, especially with plenty of trees to choose from.

When they excavated your chaise/chimney wood, did they actually get into your chimney area? and is your fireplace a wood-burning or gas? My husband installs fireplaces for a living and he can't imagine what type of shelf or structure they found inside to nest on...??
Sometimes insects, such as carpenter ants will be the culprit if your WP's are pecking for food- the WP's are a great alarm call that something much worse is doing silent-but-deadly damage on your house than the Woody's...although it seems worse with their pecking because of the damage that is actually seen.
 With mating season approaching also, could it be they are "drumming" to call your home their territory but unfortunately doing damage in the process?
  We had trouble at our cabin with pine log siding 2 years ago....my suet feeders were empty from not being able to get up there and replenish the suet, and the WP's discovered the "white polka-dots" on our siding which are actually Daddy log-legged spider eggs. We found that "Home Defense" sold at Menards or Fleet Farm is a great remedy to spray the perimeter of your whole house in the Spring, the first 3 feet from the ground (deck posts too). Daddy LL's won't crawl up then and no more polka-dot home.
 Have you seen any silky/fuzzy white spots in this area they are attacking?
  Cathy Gagliardi
  St. Paul, MN